Wednesday 4 June 2014

Background Story - The "Flora" Tote Bag


 Also known as the "I can nearly sew it in a nap-time bag"!  

Why the name "Flora" you may ask?  Well, I named this bag after my sister-in-law, as the style reminded me of her - practical, pretty and one of a kind!  We both very much enjoy our sewing and crafts, exchanging ideas and tips!  And she likes yo-yos (the fabric flower variety!) so I put one on too.  Just because ;)



This lovely bag is a great size for the necessary essentials when you don't want to carry a huge handbag with everything in it bar the kitchen sink!  (Though as a mum of two tiny toots these days are rare now!)


The tweed is a beautiful weave of teal and moss green and beige - a very limited edition by Handmade by Heather - Isle of Harris.  It was her first lot of Harris Tweed for sale and sold out within 24 hours!  I can't wait to see what else she'll come up with.



My inspiration was from a very old faithful friend of a bag - the very first one I made!  I was on 3rd year in school (Heather was there too!) and I used it all the time - patched it, repaired it, replaced the button... and now it is in retirement in my wardrobe.


Worn corners patched with different tweed

Hand stitched label - slightly wonky!


Well worn and loved!

So here's the finished article... posing against my cabinet of curiosities! Looks sane enough but it's crammed full of crafty stuff haha!  My sister's sign is in the very background, and my granny as a young 20-something in the corner! :)

Kathelle x

No comments:

Post a Comment