Thursday 1 May 2014

Sprocket Cushion Tutorial

Last year I made this cushion for a friend's birthday present.  It was great fun to do as you could pick loads of different fabrics for one project, but it would work equally well with only 2 or 3 patterns/colours.   

This is the tutorial I used to make it - this lady's blog has heaps of other great ideas too!


I was aiming for a random shabby chic pretty kind of look for it, trying not to be too matchy.  The faric wedges were arranged so that none of the same fabric was directly opposite, as I had used two of some of my favourite fabrics.  


A good range of lights, mid tones and darker fabrics, as well as plains and patterns were used to keep it really interesting and eye-catching.  

You can probably tell I think a little bit too much about these things, haha!  


The centre button was covered with another co-ordinating fabric.  I tried to use some of the fabric I had in the wedges but it didn't quite look right, whereas this fabric picks out the red accent and really lightens up the middle of the cushion.   

The button also makes this very forgiving to make if your points aren't exact, it'll hide the mistakes! ;)

 Sewing the button on was probably the most fiddly bit as you're going through all the stuffing and pulling it tight too.  You could also try and put another button on the back and make it reversible.  I left it plain and used this lovely script fabric from The Sew Room in Alford as the backing.


It's a great project to use up scraps or if you simply can't choose which fabric to start with!
I tried something similar with larger wedges out of Harris Tweed but it didn't really work sadly... it was too bulky and it somehow became too small...(don't quite know what happened haha!) so I turned it into this heart for my Folksy shop!


  I may try again, alternating cotton and tweed...? not sure if that'd work either but I think it would look pretty cool.

Here's the link again if you want to give it a go yourself!
http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2011/03/tutorial-sprocket-pillows.html



Kathelle x

No comments:

Post a Comment